This course is for trainees who require Adult Mental Health First Aid. It provides the skills, knowledge and understanding of first aid for mental health and how to effectively support those experiencing distress.
This course aims to empower both individuals in the work place and communities to understand the signs and symptoms of mental health issues and how best to support themselves and those around them in recovery.
Mental Health First Aiders are trained to:
- Spot the early signs and symptoms of mental ill health
- Start a supportive conversation with a colleague who may be experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress
- Listen to the person non-judgementally
- Assess the risk of suicide or self-harm
- Encourage the person to access appropriate professional support or self-help strategies. This might include encouraging access to internal support systems such as EAPs or in-house counselling services
- Escalate to the appropriate emergency services, if necessary
- Maintain confidentiality as appropriate
- Complete critical incident documents as and when necessary
- Protect themselves while performing their role